Apply for VILS Hotspot Model
Helping Students Access the Internet; Supporting Teachers with Remote Learning
Verizon Innovative Learning Schools (VILS) is evolving to meet a critical demand and will provide hotspots and monthly data plans for students without reliable home internet access, along with timely, relevant professional development opportunities for teachers.
For school districts with existing 1:1 device programs, the barrier for student success is often access to a reliable high-speed connection at home.
The VILS hotspot model provides mobile hotspots with data access, professional development for teachers, and opportunities for collaboration with other educators. (Individual schools may not apply. Applications must come as a group of 2-12 schools within one district or charter network.)
- Hotspots with 30 GB LTE monthly data plan* for two years for students with demonstrated need
- Access to virtual professional development for all teachers
- Financial support for a VILS Liaison who will provide instructional coaching to teachers ($5,000-$8,500 depending on school size)
For a district to apply on behalf of a group of 2-12 middle and/or high schools, participating schools should have:
- Existing 1:1 device programs
- At least a 65% free and reduced-price lunch rate
- Ability to assess and document need for hotspots by individual students
- Ability to filter content through hotspots
- Interest in and commitment to professional learning and coaching for teachers
- Ability to inventory, track, and replace hotspots as needed
Applications are currently closed. Applications must be submitted by a district, and can include 2-12 schools. This is a two-year program, with an option to extend to four years.
*Data plans are subject to change.